The party problem: You and your friends are in the pool and you want a drink, but no one feels like getting out to grab seltzers for everyone. (It’s a tough life, we know.)
The party trick: Use pool noodles and a plastic storage container to build a floating cooler that can bob around with you in the water.
Make a floating cooler and no one will have to get out of the pool ever again — well, unless it’s time to hit the bathroom. (Something we strongly encourage!) You might even want to make two of these and use one for snacks like pretzels, chips, and more.
Loading Craft/Tabletop Roundup…
How To Build a Floating Cooler
What You Need
- Pool noodles
- Plastic storage container
- Canned and/or bottled beverages
- Tape measure or ruler
- Serrated knife
- Measure and cut your pool noodles: Measure the sides of your plastic storage container and use a serrated knife to cut the pool noodles at a 45-degree angle.
- Slice the length of each noodle: Using the serrated knife again, slice the length of each noodle along the bottom. (You’re cutting them like a hot dog bun.)
- Attach the noodles: Slide the noodles onto the plastic storage bin and finesse them a little so that the corners line up.
- Repeat step 3: Keep working until all four pieces have been slipped onto the bin.
- Add ice and drinks: Add ice and drinks, then place your new floating cooler in the pool.
- This will work with containers of all sizes. However, look for one without locking handles for the lids, as they make it harder to slip the pool noodles along the lip of the container.
- Be careful with glass in or around the pool.
- Always be safe when consuming alcohol in the pool.