Ryan Bader dropped Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal in just 15 seconds at Bellator 199, advancing to round two of the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix.
Bellator light heavyweight champion Ryan Bader defeated Muhammed “ King Mo ” Lawal via devasting knockout punch just 15 seconds into the first round of the final quarterfinal matchup of Bellator’s Heavyweight Grand Prix at Bellator 199 in San Jose.
Bader will now advance to face former UFC heavyweight turned Bellator MMA contender Matt Mitrione in the second round of the highly marketed tournament. Also joining them in the second round will be a fight between Chael Sonnen and Fedor Emelianenko.
“It’s one of those sweet spots,” he said during his post-fight interview. “I saw his ducking his head.”
It took one left hand, the first strike of the fight to drop Lawal to the canvas. With his opponent reeling, Bader pounced on Lawal, quickly took his back and landed five more shots before the referee could fling himself between the two to end the fight.
Bader, who came into Bellator on the heels of a successful UFC career, was looking to make his mark under the Bellator banner with his third consecutive win with the promotion and he did just that — and more.
Lawal was coming off a high-profile win after defeating Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, another UFC veteran, but wasn’t able to mark the same success in the Bellator cage tonight.
OFFICIAL SCORECARD: Ryan Bader def. Muhammad ‘King Mo’ Lawal via KO (punch). Round 1, 0:15
Here is how the entire card finished up:
- Ryan Bader def. Muhammed Lawal via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 0:15
- Jon Fitch def. Paul Daley via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-26, 29-26)
- Aaron Pico def. Lee Morrison via TKO (body punch) – Round 1, 1:10
- Cheick Kongo def. Javy Ayala via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 2:29
- Adam Piccolotti def. Carrington Banks via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 4:41
- Cass Bell def. Khai Wu via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:27
- Jordan Williams def. Brandon Hester via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:11
- Amber Leibrock def. Janay Harding via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26)
- James Terry def. Danasabe Mohammed via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Gaston Bolanos def. Malcolm Hill via TKO (injury) – Round 1, 2:54
- Justin Tenedora def. David Rivera-Cruz via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:27
- Deron Winn def. Ahmed White via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 2:32